DEFENCE SCHOOL TRANSITION AIDE
Defence families are a very important and dynamic part of St Mary's Catholic Primary School and we heartily welcome Defence students to our school. St Mary's central location in the city by the St Mary's Star of the Sea Cathedral means it attracts students from several defence bases and establishments.
We currently have about 30 Army, Navy and Air Force students within our school population of approximately 230.
St Mary's Catholic Primary School also has a Defence School Transition Aide (DSTA) to support the many Defence families in the school. Sheree Mulligan (St Mary's DSTA) is a defence spouse and mum and is very keen to help Defence families on their arrival, during their time at St Mary's and as they depart on new adventures! Students from military families will enjoy a Defence Kids' Club on Friday lunchtimes, support when parents are absent for extended periods such as on exercises, course of deployments and support regarding academic needs.
Please phone 08) 8981 9796 to speak to Sheree or email email@example.com if you have any questions about the program, need assistance in any way or just for a chat.
The DSTA’s responsibilities are as follows:
- Assisting ADF parents and children to become familiar with the school and its facilities and to integrate into the school community;
- Coordinating appropriate welcoming and fare welling activities for ADF students;
- Supporting students at school during times of parental absence from home for service requirements;
- Supporting ADF students to develop their self-confidence and resilience;
- Referring students where necessary to appropriate student support services;
- Developing and implementing programs and resources that support ADF student needs;
- Facilitating their participation in cultural, sporting, academic and personal development programs;
- Linking ADF students to school and community programs;
- Raising school community awareness of Defence related issues facing these students such as parental absence due to service requirements;
- Contributing items of interest to the school newsletter;
- Providing opportunities for ADF families to meet other ADF families within the school community;
- Being a contact for new parents of mobile ADF children in the school;
- Maintaining contact with ADF families who are enrolled in the school.
The DSTA is employed by the Department of Defence’s Defence Community Organisation. For more information on the DSTA programme follow this
To start the enrolment process or for any enrolment queries please phone 08) 8981 9796 and speak with Jacqui Langdon (Principal) or Megan Pearce (Deputy Principal) as they are very willing to provide any information you need regarding St Mary's Catholic Primary School.